DIY Lip Balm Refill Using EOS Containers

I’m a lip balm addict. There I said it. But not because I want my lips looking great; it’s because my lips are ALWAYS chapped!

Maybe it’s because I don’t drink enough water. (Coffee has water in it, right??? And I mean, wine DOES come from grapes.)

Since I’m not giving up my two favorite beverages anytime soon and I can never seem to drink enough water, I always keep a super moisturizing lip balm on me. I love the idea of pairing this with a super easy DIY that will also save me money in the long run. By using the ingredients below, the results are higher quality than a lot of store bought lip balms. You can easily make this in bulk to stock up for the winter or as neat gifts for friends!

Easy DIY lip balm refill tutorial. Don't buy expensive lip balm - Make Your Own with just a couple ingredients. High quality and easy to make!DIY Lip Balm Ingredients:

I bought the beeswax and essential oil on Amazon, as these aren’t the easiest items to find at the store.  Since the beeswax came in a block, I use a cheese grater to measure out 2 teaspoons. When possible I try to select the items on Amazon that are eligible for ‘Amazon Prime’ which means the item has two day shipping for FREE (the Amazon Prime items tend to be cheaper as well). If you’re not an Amazon member and want to try out prime, you can try out a 30 day trial here.

If you’re using a used EOS lip balm, screw off the top and pop out the middle with a knife. Wash out all three pieces. If you’re struggling to remove the remaining lip balm, pour a little bowling water over it. (I strongly recommend doing this step FIRST before you start melting the ingredients in the instructions below. Coconut oil & beeswax re-harden rather quickly, so you’ll want your lip gloss container ready.)

Combine the beeswax and coconut oil in a microwave safe bowl and heat for 1 minute or until melted, but not boiling.

Then add a small slice of your lipstick to add a pop of color and your favorite essential oil. Break open a vitamin E capsule and add in the liquid contents.

Put back in the microwave for 15-30 more seconds until everything is melted and stir.

Screw the top (round) and middle piece of your EOS together and pour the mixture in. Fill it all the way to the top of the container. It’s OK if it flows over a bit!

Pop the base back in, keeping it upside down. Then place in the fridge for 10-15 minutes.  An easy way to keep it from tipping over in your fridge is to place it in an egg carton.

This recipe is for one EOS refill, but you can easily increase it. Just make sure to use equal amounts of coconut oil & beeswax. The rest of the ingredients can be measured out to your preference!

After trying this the first time, I’ve been hooked!  Goodbye chapped, dry lips.  Hello moisture. And this DIY lip balm refill was easier than you’d think!

(Now I just need to start drinking more water 🙂 )

Easy DIY lip balm refill tutorial. Don't buy expensive lip balm - Make Your Own with just a couple ingredients. High quality and easy to make!This post was featured in: Beautifully Creative, Inspire Me, Anti-Procrastination, Nifty Thrifty, Anything GoesArtsy Fartsy!, Pinspiration

Some of the links in this list are affiliate links. It doesn’t cost you any extra, but I earn a little commission if you decide to purchase. Regardless of whether or not I receive a commission, I only recommend products that I personally use and genuinely recommend!

1. October 14, 2015 / 6:27 am

Well, you might have just saved me a small fortune. I have this crazy medical condition where I don’t make the hormones needed to process water, so my skin, and particularly my lips are always dry. It looks terrible, so I use a lot of lip balm. This sounds like a great way to combat that problem, while still keeping the budget in check.

• Linday @ Crazy Organized
      October 21, 2015 / 10:17 am

This should help a lot then! I hate hate hate spending money on pricey chap stick!!

2. October 15, 2015 / 2:07 pm

I just watched a video on this on my FB feed! I wondered if it actually worked.. awesome!

3. October 16, 2015 / 6:24 am

Oh my goodness, this is BRILLIANT!

I totally have to do this. Wait, does this mean I won’t have to buy any more lip balm (happy dance)!

Thanks for sharing (and for linking up to the #SHINEbloghop).

Wishing you a lovely weekend.
    xoxo

• Linday @ Crazy Organized
      October 21, 2015 / 10:18 am

Haha, exactly!!! I’ve made tons of these and now it’s all I use! Thanks for stopping by! See you next week!

4. October 16, 2015 / 7:51 am

Your liquid diet and mine are very similar. I also have a lip balm addiction. I’d love to make my own and this recipe doesn’t sound too hard. Thank you.

• Linday @ Crazy Organized
      October 21, 2015 / 10:20 am

hahahaha love it! We’re so similar! I guess we both need to start drinking more water? 🙂

5. October 16, 2015 / 8:03 am

Hallelujah! I am a lover of lip products, can’t explain it, but I love them. But I’m wary of the chapsticks and their chemicals and unhealthy ingredients. Thank you oh so much for sharing this!!!
    ~Haley

• Linday @ Crazy Organized
      October 21, 2015 / 10:20 am

So glad! Yes, this is all natural stuff so it’s way better for you!

6. October 16, 2015 / 5:07 pm

Ahhhhh!!! So good! Thanks for sharing! I am stopping by from Friday Finds Linky Party…it’s nice to meet you! 🙂

7. October 18, 2015 / 5:01 am

Great idea! I didn’t think it would be so simple so I have to give it a try. Now I wish I hadn’t thrown away my empty EOS container a couple weeks ago!

• Linday @ Crazy Organized
      October 21, 2015 / 10:23 am

Honestly, it was really easy! I’m never successful with complicated DIYs so all mine are pretty easy!

8. October 18, 2015 / 8:38 pm

What a great idea!! Thanks for sharing at Small Victories Sunday Linkup!

9. October 19, 2015 / 3:38 am

Loving this tutorial! I always wondered how to refill those eos balms. Never did figure out how to separate the bottom two pieces.

• Linday @ Crazy Organized
      October 21, 2015 / 10:24 am

Yep! that’s the trick! Thanks so much for stopping by!

10. October 19, 2015 / 4:07 pm

How clever and i bet it works well too #CreativeMonday

11. October 19, 2015 / 6:57 pm

I share your love of lip balm! Never considered making my own! How clever! Thanks for sharing with us at Merry Monday.

12. October 20, 2015 / 6:38 am

Wow thanks for sharing how to make lip balm with us at Cooking and Crafting with J & J.

13. October 20, 2015 / 6:47 am

This is genius! Saving this for myself and for gifts….so clever 🙂 Thanks for sharing. (Joining from SHINE)
    Ann

• Linday @ Crazy Organized
      October 21, 2015 / 10:31 am

Thanks so much! It’s so great for gifts!!

14. October 20, 2015 / 12:13 pm

This is GENIUS! LOVE the idea!! 🙂

Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

15. October 20, 2015 / 3:49 pm

This is such a great post. I am glad that I found your blog. I wish I hadn’t already trashed my EOS lib balm container. However I do have a Caramex on that about to finished. Needless to say what I am planning. Going to subscribe to your site for sure. This post is a real money saver indeed. Thanks again!!

• Linday @ Crazy Organized
      October 21, 2015 / 10:31 am

Thank you SOOOO mcuh! So nice! I really appreciate it!

16. October 20, 2015 / 3:51 pm

Thats awesome! Thanks for the tip I cant wait to try it out.

17. October 21, 2015 / 10:56 am

What a great idea!! Thanks for linking up on My 2 Favorite Things on Thursday. Hope to see you again! Pinned!

18. October 22, 2015 / 7:39 am

Very cool! I saw this awhile back, and I had to buy and EOS lip balm just so I could make my own when it was gone. I pinned for later!

19. October 24, 2015 / 12:12 pm

Great idea! Pinned and tweeted. Thank you for being a part of our party! I hope to see you on Monday at 7 pm. We love partying with you! Lou Lou Girls

20. October 24, 2015 / 3:56 pm

This looks like something that can be done fairly easily. Essential oils have so many uses. If you have any interest in them, let me know…my business partner and I have enjoylifeoils.com. Many people use the products for themselves, but some build businesses around it, too. Would love to have you on the Skimbaco team as client/team member. Thanks for linking up with this us this week. Leigh

21. October 24, 2015 / 7:08 pm

Love this! Guess what! I loved this post so much that I chose it to be featured for this week’s The Beautifully Creative Inspired Link Party. 🙂 Go grab a button you deserve it!

22. October 25, 2015 / 12:38 pm

#AnythingGoes is great because of you! Thank you for continuing to support this Link Party with your talent and creativity.

23. October 28, 2015 / 7:01 am

This is such a great idea. My daughter is a lib balm addict. I think she would love to make her own.

24. October 30, 2015 / 8:13 am

Great idea! I have a lot of coconut oil, because I use it for everything but mostly as a moisturizer. I need to start making my own balm since my kids steal mine all time and they end up in the wash. That’s expensive! Thanks for sharing with Saucy Saturdays!

25. October 31, 2015 / 7:27 pm

This is great! I’m almost out of my favorite EOS, and I think I have all these ingredients except the Vitamin E. And I’m with you on the wine/coffee/water thing!

26. November 3, 2015 / 11:56 am

OH my goodness I love this you are amazing and so creative. What a great idea. Thank you so much for linking up to Share With Me. I hope to see you again tomorrow for another great round. #sharewithme

27. Barbara Farmer
    November 6, 2015 / 11:23 am

I’m the same way! Total lip balm addict. Constantly chapped lips, I have tons of these EOS lip balms all over the place in various levels of use. I can’t wait to make this. Thanks so much!

28. November 10, 2015 / 7:10 am

Oh how I love this! I’m a total chapstick addict, too. I have one in every room of my house, in each purse, and in the cars. I can’t go without! This is such a great idea that I can’t wait to try. Thanks for sharing:)