7 Gmail Hacks That Will Change Your Life

I’m a huge Google fan. I love that it has a suite of products (email, calendar, docs, surveys, hangout) all built in to one account to make life easier. Added perk is only one password to remember! But admittedly I wasn’t always a Gmail fan. I’m loyal and stick to what I know … which is Outlook. Yet my more tech savvy husband, Joe, convinced me of the Gmail appeal. Over the years, I’ve reluctantly admitted he was right.

Last week I shared the step by step to using Hangouts effectively, so today I want to share with you the top 7 Gmail hacks I’ve learned along the way. And some of these may or may not have been taught to me by Joe 🙂 .

1 – Canned Responses

Check out these 7 top Gmail hacks to make your email more efficient and effective! Who knew Gmail had all these hidden features!If you commonly compose and reply with the same message over and over, you could benefit from the “canned response” feature. This lets you create automatic responses that you can insert in to your email and tweak as needed without having to manually type out the whole thing. Call it the lazy girl tip to sending emails. In order to enable this feature, click the gear in the top right corner. Select “Settings” and go to the “Labs” tab. Then enable “Canned Responses” and save.Check out these 7 top Gmail hacks to make your email more efficient and effective! Who knew Gmail had all these hidden features!

Now when you open up an email you can create and/or add an existing canned massage. Brilliant.Check out these 7 top Gmail hacks to make your email more efficient and effective! Who knew Gmail had all these hidden features!

2 – Unsend Emails

Ever accidently hit send mid email? Or ever send a hasty email that you wish you could take back? (Yep, I’ve done this one too.) The good news is that you CAN take those emails back up to 30 seconds after you hit “send”. In order to enable this feature, go back to Settings, scroll down to “Undo Send”. Check the button and select the cancelation period. Then save.

When you send a future email, you’ll see this bar below up top. Life. Saver.

3 – Multiple Email Accounts

I have a couple different gmail accounts, one for my blog and one for personal. Some of you may have multiple gmail accounts too (for example, if you set up a new email address when changing your last name after getting married). You can add up to 5 Gmail accounts under one. This is super convenient if you don’t want to manually log in and out of each of your accounts. To set this up simple go back to your Settings, click on the “Accounts” tab, then click “Add another email address.”

Then when you send an email you’ll see the “from” line which you can change to any of your gmail addresses.Check out these 7 top Gmail hacks to make your email more efficient and effective! Who knew Gmail had all these hidden features!4 – Folders

In general Gmail isn’t a huge fan of folders, but I am. It’s the one feature that I love more than anything. I like my email organized just like I like my life organized. To set these up, go back to “Settings”, then select the “Labels” tab. Scroll down to the bottom and create any new Labels that you want. Google may call them “Labels”, but I use them as “Folders”. Sorry Google.

Now when you look over to your left side bar, you’ll see the Folders.  You can easily move your emails in to the folders by clicking on the email and dragging in to the folder. OR clicking on the email and selecting the Labels drop down at the top.

5 – Send Email Later

I’m one of those people who works late at night and on the weekends. But to all my coworkers, I’m likely rather frustrating because no one wants to get emails when they’re not working. Enter Boomerang. The magical ability to send your emails at a future date. Gmail does not have this feature directly, BUT the Gmail extension, Boomerang, will do the trick. First, simply download the Boomerang extension. Log in to Gmail. Start composing a new email. Now you’ll see a red “Send Later” button. Select WHEN you want the email to send and hit “Confirm”.

6 – See which emails are sent JUST to You

When you log in to check your email it’s easy to see which emails are sent JUST to you vs you & other recipients. To activate, go back in to Settings, scroll to the bottom to “Personal Level Indicators”, select “Show Indicators”.

Now when you log in to your email, you’ll be able to see which emails were sent just to you vs you & others.

Check out these 7 top Gmail hacks to make your email more efficient and effective! Who knew Gmail had all these hidden features!7 – Archiving Emails

Archiving Emails is a great way to keep your inbox clean without forever deleting emails. You never know when you might need one of those old emails again. If you need the later on, you can simply search for it to retrieve it!

Hope you found these helpful. I’ve grown to love Google products, as they’ve definitely helped me stay organized over the years.

This post was featured in: Pinbellish, & Titus 2!

1. October 13, 2015 / 4:48 pm

Who knew? I love Gmail, but no wonder it hasn’t been changing my life: I didn’t know about all this! 😉 Thanks for enlightening me…stopping by from Wonderful Wednesday!

2. October 13, 2015 / 5:56 pm

Great tips- Thank you.

3. October 14, 2015 / 10:27 pm

Excellent article, Lindsay. Such tweaks certainly make Gmail more user-friendly and super efficient. Thanks, Niraj (Founder at hiverhq.com)

4. October 16, 2015 / 10:09 am

Love these! I am so guilty of a disorganized inbox, so consolidating with folders and multiple addresses under one email sounds awesome!

• Linday @ Crazy Organized
      October 21, 2015 / 10:19 am

So glad it was helpful! Combining email address and making folders helped me SO much!

5. October 16, 2015 / 11:27 am

thanks for sharing! I knew about a couple of these, but so excited to learn the new ones!

• Linday @ Crazy Organized
      October 21, 2015 / 10:20 am

So glad it’s helpful! Thanks so much for stopping by!

6. October 16, 2015 / 11:37 am

This is brilliant. Thank you so much for sharing this. I knew and use about two of these, but the rest are going to be so helpful. I’ve also just discovered your blog for the first time and I’m excited to read more. *Waves* x #thelist

• Linday @ Crazy Organized
      October 21, 2015 / 10:21 am

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it!! I’m just starting out, but I’m enjoying it so far!

7. October 16, 2015 / 12:05 pm

I knew some of these, but not all I think I shall be bookmarking this page 🙂 #thelist

• Linday @ Crazy Organized
      October 21, 2015 / 10:24 am

Thanks so much 🙂 Really appreciate it!

8. October 17, 2015 / 12:26 am

As someone juggling 3 different google accounts at home, this is great, thanks! I didn’t know about all of these so will be taking note. Anything to make my life easier! #TheList

9. October 20, 2015 / 3:21 am

I tend to drown in emails in gmail, but had just heard about boomerang and can’t wait to get it installed – particularly for the reminder feature, so I don’t lose those follow-ups and to-dos at the bottom of my inbox.

• Linday @ Crazy Organized
      October 21, 2015 / 10:33 am

I just started using boomerang recently and really like it so far! Thanks so much for stopping by!

10. October 20, 2015 / 6:54 am

Hi! Thanks for all the tips! I am glad there are people like you out there to point out all these features. I will certainly try some of them. (from #Titus2Tuesday)

• Linday @ Crazy Organized
      October 21, 2015 / 10:33 am

hahaha so glad you like them! 🙂

11. October 21, 2015 / 8:13 am

These are SOOO helpful! I love google, and use it a ton, but I never knew about these. Thanks so much for sharing!

12. Dee
    October 22, 2015 / 6:11 pm

Great tips, I just want to point out the “Add email account” feature will work with ANY email account, not just gmail accounts. This is very convenient for those of us who want to link our professional accounts and be able to reply from those accounts using gmail. I’m a realtor so this tool if extremely handy for me 🙂
    Hope this helps!

13. October 23, 2015 / 5:34 am

I mainly use my hotmail because I haven’t figured out my gmail! This post is SO useful, thank you. Will nip off and pin this one. Thanks for linking to #PoCoLo x

14. October 23, 2015 / 3:40 pm

This is so useful! Thank you so much! I really like Boomerang features. I have downloaded it and will now be playing with it for the rest of the day. 🙂 #TheList

15. November 2, 2015 / 5:37 pm

WOW! You just blew my mind!! Thanks for sharing such awesome tips. I pinned this to our MMBH board.
    XOXO

16. November 3, 2015 / 3:01 am

I love Gmail and these are great tips. I often send an email and realize straight away forgot to add an attachment! I will be setting up unsend! I also use the labels as folders 🙂 #allaboutyou
    Debbie

17. November 3, 2015 / 5:58 am

Great tips. I’ve been a long time user of Gmail and I love it. Especially the archive thing, I don’t remember the last time I deleted an email! Thanks for sharing. x
    #AllAboutYou

18. November 3, 2015 / 8:15 am

I didn’t know you could delete emails you’ve sent. I wish you had more than 30 seconds to change your mind, but I’ll take what I can get!

19. November 4, 2015 / 7:15 am

Love the canned response feature and my folders! The folders definitely keep me organized.

20. November 9, 2015 / 1:38 am

I had heard so many times of the canned messages, but I had NO CLUE how to set them.
    Thank you so very much for explaining it. It’s now up and running.
    I didn’t know about the unsend option either.
    VERY informative post. I’m spreading the word.
    #anythinggoes

21. Malgosia
    November 10, 2015 / 4:33 am

I didn’t know some of these but a lifechanger for me was Filters. There are some emails I get that I might need information from so I don’t want to unsubscribe but yet I don’t want them unread in my inbox. Enter Filter. I set it so certain people or certain keywords either delete the email or mark it as read.
    Makes it so much easier when my inbox is set to show unread messages first.

22. November 13, 2015 / 5:19 pm

I use gmail and I love it. Google and I are best buds! LOL I had no idea I could use several addresses and absolutely no idea you could unsend an email. How cool is that! Great tips, thanks for sharing, you taught me something new today!

23. December 6, 2015 / 10:22 am

I totally just opened my email and set up those indicators! These are great tips! Thanks for sharing on the Small Victories Sunday Linkup!

24. December 6, 2015 / 11:33 am

Thank you so much for number 2. I sometimes click on the send button before I have finished an e-mail, so this is going to come in extremely useful.

25. December 6, 2015 / 10:05 pm

Very helpful, thank you!!

26. December 7, 2015 / 2:06 pm

I just popped over from themommymonday blog hop and boy am I glad I did.

Brilliant! I’m gmail newbie and have barely scratched the surface of what you can to with it, I really need to improve my online efficiency.

I will definitely be subscribing to receive any more pearls of wisdom you care to throw my way.

December 7, 2015 / 3:43 pm

awww thanks so much! 🙂

27. December 7, 2015 / 3:09 pm

Great tips! I used the additional emails feature all the time when I used to have multiple email addresses for work. It was such a life saver, being able to have all my emails go in just one place!

28. December 7, 2015 / 3:09 pm

These are great hacks. Can I suggest an additional one …Sanelater it’s an add on app with a free and paid version….nothing has tamed my inbox quite like it.

December 7, 2015 / 3:43 pm

Oh wow! thanks for the suggestion! I’m totally going to have to try it!

29. December 10, 2015 / 6:49 pm

Hi, Lindsay ~ Great hacks! I love Gmail, but I know I don’t use it to its full capabilities. I’m going to study and implement these hacks, so that I can get a little more out of Gmail. Thanks for sharing with us at the Merry Monday Link Party! Hope to see you again on Sunday!

30. December 16, 2015 / 8:13 pm

GMAIL drives me bananas soooo THANK YOU FOR THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

31. Linda
    March 4, 2016 / 1:44 pm

Wow! All I can say is THANK YOU!!!!!

March 7, 2016 / 8:46 am

awwww thanks 🙂 Hope these were helpful!

32. April 17, 2016 / 9:13 am

Ooooh!I love your tips, so helpful! Thanks so much for sharing ^_^

33. April 19, 2016 / 1:54 pm

Thank you so MUCH for these tips, especially the possibility to “unsend” a message, that’s priceless!!! Who has made that mistake? thanks.