Spice Container Organization

Not being the cook in the family I don’t often reach for the spices, but my husband does regularly. Fortunately my love for organizing trumps my confusion in the kitchen.

I hated the way our spice containers were all different shapes & sizes and in those rare occasions where I use them, it would take a long time sifting through to find the spice I needed.

This rolling end cabinet that the spices were in wasn’t working either, so I cleared out a drawer for the spices.

My two priorities with this project were to have matching containers and easily identifiable labels.

SUPPLIES:

STEPS:

First step is to create the new labels, which will go on the lid of each new spice jar. This Spice Container Labels word document download is what I used for my Container Store clear spice jars in the link above. I made a label for each of the spices I currently had (many of which I couldn’t even pronounce!).

Print these on label sheets (I really like the Avery ones listed above).

Now the labels need to be cut to fit the lids. If you have a circular paper cutter (from scrapbooking or the like), I recommend using it so that it will make an even circle. If not, you can always trace the top your new lids on your printed labels and cut them out (if you trace, flip over your Avery paper to the back to trace with a pencil so that the pencil marks don’t show).

Place each label on the lid of each new spice jar.

Once all your new spice jars are labeled, transfer the spices in to the new jars. To make it a little less messy (be warned …. it’s still going to be messy!), I used a piece of paper as a makeshift filter.

Now if you want to get REALLY fancy (which I didn’t), you can alphabetize all your spices!

May your spices be organized and you’re easily able to pronounce all of them!

Do your spices need a makeover? Make your spices organized and easy to find with this easy spice container organizing tutorial!

This post was featured in: The List, 9 Must Make Crafts for The Home, & Ducks in a Row!

Some of the links in this list are affiliate links. It doesn’t cost you any extra, but I earn a little commission if you decide to purchase. Regardless of whether or not I receive a commission, I only recommend products that I personally use and genuinely recommend!

1. October 28, 2015 / 2:10 pm

I like this. I’m not sure I can find a drawer for it, but I sure like the uniform look!

2. October 28, 2015 / 2:11 pm

Now THAT looks organized! Spice organization is a thorn in my side in the kitchen! All the different shapes, brands, sizes…ARGGGHH! Thanks for sharing this idea at Whip It Up Wednesday! — Amy @ http://thegiftedgabber.com

3. October 29, 2015 / 2:58 am

This looks great! I have my spice jars laying on their side in the drawer, in the original containers, which works fine. But now that I have seen this, I love it. I think I may change my spice drawer to glass bottles. Thanks for the inspiration!

4. October 29, 2015 / 9:04 am

Oooh, this is lovely!

My spice cupboard is a disaster! I really should do this as well. I should actually go through and throw some spices out too. I have a bad habit of not purging things like spices.

Thanks for sharing (and for linking up to the #SHINEbloghop).

Wishing you a lovely day.
    xoxo

5. October 29, 2015 / 6:35 pm

Hello! You were my neighbour on The Pin Junkie. I love this post, I need to do this asap to my spices .
    Cheers!

6. October 29, 2015 / 9:50 pm

WOW. Yup, that’s crazy organizing. All the more power to you!Very inspiring. Linda @Crafts a la mode
    Pinning to my Organizing board.

7. October 29, 2015 / 10:12 pm

I’m loving it Lindsay! I think this new trend of labeling spices in this way is such a good idea…never again will you fumble around for your favorite spice. Also, good call on using that circle cutter from scrapbooking, really good idea! Also yay for the link to the jars…I haven’t been able to find any that don’t already have spices in them >:(

8. October 30, 2015 / 4:32 am

Alphabetize and line them all up – such a great idea! I keep mine in a higher shelf right now and I will definitely need to move them into a drawer like you did so it’s faster to find what I need. Thanks for the tips!

9. Whitney F
    October 30, 2015 / 7:13 am

This is amazing. Spice racks are the worst. I already sent H this idea 🙂

10. October 30, 2015 / 8:34 am

Putting this on the todo list for organizing my kitchen!

11. October 30, 2015 / 11:16 am

Thanks for giving me some food for though – my spice cabinet definitely needs a little help!

12. October 31, 2015 / 1:00 am

I plan on organizing my spice drawer next week in preparation for holiday baking, great ideas! 🙂

13. October 31, 2015 / 2:06 pm

Great idea, I need to be more organised 🙂

14. October 31, 2015 / 6:21 pm

I definitely need to do this! My spices are a mess! Thanks so much for linking up at Best of the Weekend!

15. November 2, 2015 / 4:26 pm

Ooooh. I want one of those circular cutter thingies!!! Love it
    Hey…guess what? Your post is our WILDCARD FEATURE on the upcoming Google+ @GrowingCirclesHop! See you Thursday! ♥

16. November 2, 2015 / 5:12 pm

This is giving me spice drawer envy! Thanks for linking up to The Creative Circle 🙂

17. November 3, 2015 / 9:58 am

That’s awesome! I need to get some bottles so I can organize my spices and herbs. Thanks so much for sharing this with us at Savoring Saturdays linky party! We hope you’ll come back and join us again this Friday. Have a great week!

18. November 3, 2015 / 11:41 am

Oh how I wish I had a spare drawer! This would be awesome. My spice cabinet attacks every single time the door is opened.

19. November 3, 2015 / 6:04 pm

Can spices ever actually be organized? These look amazing though!!

20. November 3, 2015 / 8:48 pm

HA! I love this idea! So cool!

Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

21. November 4, 2015 / 7:19 am

Sigh… Yes, my spices definitely need to be organized. Thanks for the reminder… and for sharing this at Savoring Saturdays. Hope you’ll be back this weekend! 🙂

22. November 4, 2015 / 9:03 am

I love this idea!! But I would probably get messed up eventually!! Thanks for sharing on My 2 Favorite Things on Thursday!! Hope to see you again this week!! Pinned!

23. November 4, 2015 / 6:04 pm

Great way to organize the spices! Would love to do this sometime and I thank you for the inspiration!
    Appreciate you taking the time to share your project with us at Brag About It!
    ~Laurie

24. November 6, 2015 / 8:05 am

I need to try this! I have never found a good way to organize my spices. I will try this. Thanks for linking up to This is How We Roll linky party!

25. November 8, 2015 / 10:45 am

Hi Lindsay! You sure are crazy organized! Thanks a bunch for sharing with my No Rules Weekend Blog Party 🙂

26. November 10, 2015 / 10:45 am

Flipping heck, these look great! What a brilliant idea. Thanks for linking to #PoCoLo x

27. Patti
    February 29, 2016 / 6:34 am

Ahhh…you mispelled chili..ha. Great post!

March 7, 2016 / 8:56 am

You found it! It was so cute, I didn’t notice it at all and one of my readers sent me a private facebook message to let me know! I thought it was hilarious so I’ve been telling everyone 🙂