Simple DIY Coasters

I love the idea of adding design with function since I try to keep to a more minimal decor style. That’s why having decorative diy coasters is right up my alley. And a DIY? Well that’s something I couldn’t resist.

I found these coasters at Goodwill (for $2!!), although you could start from scratch using cork board or white bath tiles.

SUPPLIES

• Coaster material (whether old coaster or cork board or bath tiles)
  • Painters tape
  • Clear protecting spray (I’ve used this for quite a few DIYs, such as this)
  • Paint brush
  • Acrylic paints
  • If you’re using cork board or bath tiles, I would recommend adding felt pads underneath to prevent coasters from scratching your table

Here’s some of my favorite coasters …. great for DIY inspiration!

INSTRUCTIONS

First step always is to wash and dry your coasters.

My next step was to paint each coaster white, including the sides. You may or may not choose to do this step, depending on the design you make.

Once the paint dried (overnight), start placing the painting tape on the coasters in whatever design you choose! Personally I like the look of each coaster with a slightly different design, yet all being in the same color pallet. You really cannot go wrong with whatever design you choose!

Make sure your tape is long enough to wrap down the edges and underneath to help it stay adhered through the painting process. Press the tape down hard before moving onto the next piece.

With each color you choose layer on at least two LIGHT coats of acrylic paint, waiting a minimum of 1 hour in between coats.

After putting the last coat of paint on I let them dry overnight before removing the tape just to ensure its completely dry. Then slowly and carefully remove the tape.

Best practice to protect the coasters with a waterproof sealant.

If you used cork board or tiles, your last step will be to add on a felt pad to each corner so they won’t scratch your table.

Now your only job is to decide what beverage to place on top!Don't buy new coasters, MAKE them! Incredibly simple DIY coasters create a decorative touch to any room as well as excellent gifts!

This post was featured in: Motivation Monday & Beautifully Creative!

Some of the links in this list are affiliate links. It doesn’t cost you any extra, but I earn a little commission if you decide to purchase. Regardless of whether or not I receive a commission, I only recommend products that I personally use and genuinely recommend!

1. November 9, 2015 / 10:16 am

I have always loved this idea! So great!

Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

2. November 9, 2015 / 9:18 pm

Ooh, what a great deal!These would make awesome gifts, too! Thanks for sharing at the Thoughtful Spot!

3. November 10, 2015 / 4:24 am

Hi Lindsay,

Your coasters turned out great and look simple to make yet modern and chic too. Thanks for linking to our Tips & Tricks linky party. I know people will enjoy this tutorial and I hope to see you again next week.
    Patti~ Garden Matter

4. November 10, 2015 / 9:44 am

This is a great idea! I love creating things for our home and making our own coasters is a wonderful thing! I could even get my husband to make his own!! hahaha!

5. November 10, 2015 / 9:54 am

I had not thought of painting tiles to make coasters. I had always just Mod Podged a picture or piece of scrap book paper onto them. This opens up a lot of possibilities. Thanks for the great idea.

6. November 11, 2015 / 1:39 am

Your coasters turned out really cute! i think i’m going to give it a try too! Pinning this!
    New follower!

7. November 11, 2015 / 10:55 am

I love these! I realized a couple weeks ago that we don’t have any coasters. I guess it’s time to make some!

Thanks for linking up with The Alder Collective! Your posts have been pinned to our group party board. We hope you’ll join us again next Tuesday at 8 pm EST!

8. November 11, 2015 / 10:56 am

That looks gorgeous! such a lovely idea… I like your DIY projects as they always come out amazing! #sharewithme

9. November 11, 2015 / 12:55 pm

These are very cute! My daughter would love these as they would go perfectly with her decor! Thank you for sharing with us at Brag About It!
    ~Laurie

10. November 11, 2015 / 2:02 pm

I have the tiles, I have the paints, I have the cork, and I probably also have the painter’s tape. It’s just a matter of getting around to doing it now! These would make nice gifts!

11. November 12, 2015 / 7:08 am

Hi Lindsay,
    These DIY coasters are so pretty. You did a great job making them.
    Thanks for sharing this with us at Cooking and Crafting with J & J.
    We hope to see you next week.
    Julie xo

12. November 12, 2015 / 6:12 pm

Cute idea!! I imagine they would look great in red white and green for the holidays!

13. November 13, 2015 / 12:10 pm

Love your coasters, they turned out really pretty! I recently made some out of tile as well. They are really easy to make, and I love easy projects. Thanks for sharing!

14. November 13, 2015 / 4:24 pm

They came out with a nice nautical feeling, something great to have when you are by the ocean sipping something fruity with a little umbrella in it.

15. November 13, 2015 / 8:56 pm

Lovely. Pinning to Crafts Board. Best wishes for a wonderful weekend. Linda @Crafts a la mode

16. November 14, 2015 / 9:41 am

I ruddy love your crafts! These are such a good idea – and would make a great gift. Thank you for linking to #PoCoLo x

17. November 15, 2015 / 11:30 am

Cute! And what a deal! I love that you repurposed! Thanks for sharing on the Small Victories Sunday Linkup!

18. November 17, 2015 / 6:41 am

Oh these coasters are absolutely gorgeous. So clever and creative hunny. I love seeing what you will come up with next. Thank you ever so much for linking up to Share With Me. I hope to see you again tomorrow for another great round! #sharewithme

19. November 17, 2015 / 6:54 am

Very cute and simple!! Thanks for sharing on My 2 Favorite things on Thursday!! Hope to see you again this week! Pinned!

20. November 17, 2015 / 10:37 am

Lovely idea!

21. November 19, 2015 / 3:06 pm

Wow these are great! I found some $2 coasters at Goodwill a few years ago and enjoyed redoing them with scrapbook paper and mod podge. I really like the paint idea though, and it looks a little heartier to leaky beverages than my scrapbook paper! Definitely pinning this to use later. Love simple DIYs!

22. November 20, 2015 / 12:43 pm

Great coasters! Guess what! I loved this post so much that I chose it to be featured for this week’s The Beautifully Creative Inspired Link Party. 🙂 Go grab a button you deserve it!

23. November 21, 2015 / 3:59 am

Great idea! I had no idea you could paint cork. I can feel my crafty side wanting to come out. Especially around the holidays. These would make a great stocking stuffer. Thanks for sharing this at #SaucySaturdays

November 29, 2015 / 10:02 pm

That was so amazingly kind of you! So excited! Thank you SO much!