100 Things to Throw Away NOW

100 things around your house to throw away NOW that you'll never miss and probably didn't realize you had! Speaking from the ultimate pack rat!

I hate downsizing. There I said it. I have a constant fear that I’ll someday need said item that I’m getting rid of. I’d rather spend hours figuring out the perfect organizational system for too much stuff than downsize. Yet even someone like me is able to get rid of these 100 things. Whether you throw away, recycle or donate, I promise you won’t miss these 100 things from your home!

1. Extra buttons in little plastic bags from every clothing item ever purchased | Odds are you don’t even have the shirt the buttons came with!
  2. Window bill envelopes | besides paying bills when on earth would you use these?
  3. Expired condiments
  4. Scratched CDs | In this day and age if you’re going to even keep CDs they sure better be working!
  5. Expired batteries | Just because you put them back in storage, doesn’t mean they’ll start working again 🙂 .
  6. Cable cords and wires | Seriously, do you really have any idea what to do with these?
  7. Expired canned goods
  8. Tupperware containers missing their lid | I promise you’re never going to find the lid. Ever.
  9. Old cell phones | “I’d really like to go back to using my Iphone 3” said no one ever. Trade it in or donate it.
  10. Lanyards, name tags, bags from conferences
  11. Magnets | Unless you use them, they just make your fridge look cluttered.
  12. Dried-up nail polish
  13. Travel mugs that leak | You’re welcome.
  14. Unused notebooks
  15. Address labels for your old house
  16. Dollar store items that you’re still trying to figure out how to use
  17. Tiny screws and nails from furniture you don’t even have anymore
  18. Novelty kitchen gadgets | Everyone wants fresh squeezed orange juice, but how often are you actually squeezing those oranges?
  19. Wedding favors
  20. Past wedding invites
  21. Expired coupons | Donate them to the military
  22. Old bridesmaid dresses | Have you really worn it since the wedding?
  23. Hangers from the dry cleaners
  24. Extra salt and pepper shakers | Honestly, why would have you more?
  25. White-out bottles | Deep down you know you don’t need these.
  26. Hair elastics that have lost stretchiness
  27. Old teeth whitening trays
  28. Take out menus | The menu is the exact same online. I promise.
  29. Backpacks or duffle bags that don’t get used enough | And no, don’t use these as storage solutions
  30. Gorgeous uncomfortable shoes that you avoid because they give you blisters
  31. Unused Exercise Equipment | This stuff is too bulky to store if you’re not using it.
  32. Alarm clock | Isn’t your phone already sitting on your nightstand?
  33. Plastic cutlery from takeout
  34. Extra pencil sharpeners | You can have ONE
  35. Paperweights
  36. Hole punch | When’s the last time you’ve used yours?
  37. Snacks your pets don’t like | Reagan is the worlds pickiest eater
  38. Unused vases | Keep one for flowers you receive
  39. Make up you’ll try “one day” | I’m looking at you Taylor Swift style lipsick
  40. Travel brochures from trips you’ve already gone on
  41. Stockings with runs | No amount of clear nail polish will take away the run
  42. Cards you’ve received that have no sentimental value
  43. Old emery boards | They’re SO cheap, just buy a new one
  44. Highlighters | Save one or TWO tops
  45. Too many sets of bed linens | Allow two per bed max
  46. Piles of “scrap paper”
  47. Gifts you don’t really like
  48. Staple remover | Do you see my theme with office supplies?
  49. Twisty ties | They really only make sense on bread bags
  50. DVDs you don’t watch
  51. Cooking utensils you have two of | Have you ever used two of the same utensil at the same time?
  52. Promotional t-shirts that are WAY too big
  53. Bills you don’t need to keep | Who wants to be reminded of how much money they’ve spent?
  54. Extra key chains
  55. Emergency sewing kits | How many ‘sewing emergencies’ can one person have?
  56. Mason jars | Go on Pinterest and figure out a project for these or get rid of them!
  57. Paper bags from a department store | Ok Ok, keep one or two tops
  58. Touristy knick knacks that seemed like a good idea to purchase while on vacation
  59. Fancy serving bowls that you can only use for special occasions
  60. CDs that come with computer programs you’re no longer using
  61. Extra bubble wrap | Takes up WAY too much room!
  62. Keys that you don’t know what they’re for
  63. Holiday decorations that you always forget to set out | Mine’s the Mardi Gras decorations for the party I never end up hosting
  64. Any dishware that doesn’t match the rest of your set
  65. Dried up super glue or super glue that’s lids are glued shut
  66. Those amazing organizational systems that worked in your previous apartment but not in your current place
  67. Recipe books you rarely use | One word: Pinterest
  68. Magazines you’ve already read
  69. Worn-Out Hairbrushes | We all get grossed out seeing other people’s old hairbrushes
  70. Single earrings | Look for the pair or get rid of it
  71. Too many workout clothes | Remember, buying workout clothes doesn’t burn calories
  72. Plastic hangers that you get from the store
  73. Remotes that don’t have a use | Whoever invented the universal remote is GENIUS!
  74. Dishware that doesn’t stack easily and/or takes up too much room
  75. Craft supplies for projects that you never actually started (or completed)
  76. The cheap pans that keep burning your meal | But you won’t have any more excuses for burnt food 🙂
  77.  Novelty baking dishes that can’t be used regularly
  78. Extra pajama sets | A couple for cold weather and a couple for warm weather is good enough!
  79. Accessories to old electronics | Don’t we wish all iphone versions used the same charger??
  80. Broken hangers, even if they’re the fancy expensive wood kind
  81. Boxes from electronics | Unless you think there’s a good chance you’ll return it, hold the box for only a couple weeks
  82. Hairdryer attachments that never get used
  83. Stained clothing you can’t get cleaned | The stain will drive you crazy
  84. Too many coolers | If you have room for these, I want to move in to your house!
  85. Holiday themed dishes | I love these as much as you do, but I only have room for dishes I can use ALL year round
  86. Belts that don’t fit
  87. Scarves you never wear
  88. Too many hats & gloves | Find a couple pairs that go with ALL your winter coats
  89. Chopsticks | Unless you really REALLY use them
  90. Shampoo bottles from hotels | Use them within the first month back from your trip or get rid of them
  91. Air fresheners | Unless they’re the kind with refills
  92. Clothes that are WAY too small | One size down is OK, but anything more? Just buy new clothes to celebrate!
  93. Matches from restaurants | Save one pack
  94. Cheap pens that run out of ink easily
  95. Too many baking dishes | How many can you really fit in your oven at the same time?
  96. Old ratty towels | Turn them in to rags or get rid of them!
  97. Makeup samples that you only like because they’re free
  98. Unnecessary receipts | Do you really want an itemized grocery receipt from a year ago?
  99. Cookie cutters | If you’ve used them in the last month you get a pass!
  100. Empty bottles of anything

Any others I missed?

1. June 8, 2016 / 9:16 am

I LOVE to get rid of clutter. I think my kids think I might throw them away!
    Thanks for so many great suggestions.
    Found your post today on Raising Homemakers.
    Hope you have a blessed day~
    Melanie

June 22, 2016 / 4:28 pm

thanks so much for stopping by!!

2. June 8, 2016 / 10:59 am

Buying workout clothes doesn’t burn calories? Well so much for my workout plan! 😉 Such a great list of SO MANY things we’ve been holding on to but really need to get rid of. I mean how many of these things do we really need? They just take up so much space! This is a great start to our massive home decluttering we’ll be doing this summer!

June 22, 2016 / 4:30 pm

Oh I wish it did! 🙂 Thanks for stopping by hun!

3. June 9, 2016 / 2:01 am

We have so much to declutter in our house, I don’t even know where to start.
    On top of that I need to keep the kitchen clean all the time. #sharewithme

4. June 9, 2016 / 5:25 am

i LOVE this! You have SO motivated me to get started on spring cleaning, yup, it’s still springtime ;-)!
    I’m dividing the list up with my teens, crankin’ the music up, and I’ll let you know what (if!) you missed anything after we’re through!! LOL
    Thanks so much for sharing this on Coffee and Conversation!! Come back again soon 🙂

June 22, 2016 / 4:40 pm

So glad it’s helpful! Love that you’re putting your kiddos to work helping!

5. June 11, 2016 / 3:21 am

What a great list Lindsay! There’s definitely a few things on this list that I could get rid of. 🙂
    #sharewithme

6. June 14, 2016 / 10:05 pm

thank you! guilty as charged. especially the non lidded tupperware!

• August 8, 2016 / 8:48 am

I LOVE THE LEFTOVER SQUARE OR RECTANGLE TUPPERWARE FOR SORTING ITEMS IN DRAWERS OR CLOSETS. (OPPS; IS THIS REALLY CLUTTER, TOO?)

June 22, 2016 / 4:48 pm

Thanks so much!!

7. June 15, 2016 / 12:46 pm

Great ideas! I always need rags for painting and stuff, so getting rid of towels is easy for me.

June 22, 2016 / 4:48 pm

Thanks for stopping by! Totally agree on the rags!

8. June 22, 2016 / 10:42 am

Ha, I’m guilty of keeping several items on this list. I did, however, purge my kitchen cabinets and organized like a crazy person. I actually use my mason jars, so I’ll be hanging on to these 🙂

9. Karla
    June 25, 2016 / 5:23 am

I am in the process of moving, and have been downsizing as I pack. Thank you for validating my choices in what to get rid of next. My biggest fear is I’ll end up on an episode of hoarders.

July 3, 2016 / 9:28 pm

Haha good luck with the move! I hear ya on the hoarders! 🙂

10. June 28, 2016 / 6:21 am

I just moved, what an eye-opener!! Got rid so many of things you listed. Still have some more to pitch. Thanks for the list, reviewing some of what I kept.

July 3, 2016 / 9:34 pm

Totally agree! I never realize how much I have until I have to pack it all up! Hope the move went well!

11. Ruth Hardy
    July 21, 2016 / 10:18 am

Thank you for your list. I am currently trying to separate my work and home life as I work from home. This has motivated me to reclaim my living room.

July 27, 2016 / 9:47 am

So glad it’s helpful! I work from home too. It can be SOOOOOO hard to separate the two!

12. Brenda
    July 26, 2016 / 11:17 pm

Don’t throw out the old Tupper ware if you want them! Contact a Tupper ware sales person, some of them will exchange them for new ones, even with the missing lid. You may have to do it one piece at a time but if you really like the piece it is worth it.

July 27, 2016 / 9:43 am

Wow! I had no idea that you could purchase missing lids! Thanks for sharing!!

• August 8, 2016 / 8:44 am

YOU CAN BUY “REPLACEMENT LIDS” FOR TUPPERWARE ON E-BAY. YOU JUST NEED TO KNOW THE SIZE/CODE NUMBER. NOT THAT $$.

13. Hannah
    August 28, 2016 / 11:58 pm

I am definitely doing this this list right……..after I make something from Pinterest
    Thx so much ❤️❤️

14. Whitney
    August 29, 2016 / 6:18 am

I *just* got rid of my bag of hotel shampoos… I saved them, because I figured theyre convenient to take camping. Like, every 2-3 years, when we go. 😛 I actually just dumped them into my full-size bottles, so I use them up (and refilled my favorite-shaped travel bottles — but it’s just one in my travel case, not 50 in a bag on the shelf ;).

15. Denise
    September 17, 2016 / 1:17 pm

one thing… Throw away all of your kids’ papers from school!
    yes…all of it! scan special things into your computer and save them there, or take pictures of them!
    too much paper clutter will DROWN YOU! lol
    oh…and stop saving magazines to get the recipes or decorating ideas out of later!

September 26, 2016 / 12:30 pm

Love that idea of scanning kids papers! Brilliant! And totally agree about saving magazines … I’m guilty of that sometimes!

16. Barbara
    October 6, 2016 / 5:42 pm

Take your dry cleaning hangers to the dry cleaners, they will recycle

17. November 25, 2016 / 8:28 pm

No, twisty ties are not even good for bread bags. They are annoying and time consuming, twist the bag shut and fold it over, done. And I have a wish book, I tear the page out of a magazine if I love something. It goes into a clear plastic sheet, into the book under decor, gardens, food and holidays. Out with the magazine. If I could be so organized with anything else it would be wonderfull!

18. December 25, 2016 / 4:41 am

#23 the dry cleaners will happily take their hanvers back for recycling.
    #32 I keep the alarm clock as I don’t keep my phone in the bedroom. If there’s a middle of the night emergency {happened once in the last 20 years) it can still wait until I walk there and pick up the phone.
    Thank you for taking the time to make this list, it’s very useful!
    Have a wonderful Holiday Season and a very Happy New Year!

19. Michele Frueh
    January 26, 2017 / 10:21 pm

How about getting rid of some of the odd kitchen gadgets that you never seem to use, but fill up an entire drawer or cupboard in your kitchen? I’m guilty of this one. Some examples that could be taking up too much space: bread machine, waffle iron (you buy Eggo waffles), ice cream maker (haven’t used it in years!) more than one crock pot…

February 1, 2017 / 9:49 pm