I am NOT good in the kitchen. I repeat I’m good in the kitchen. My husband jokingly reminds of ‘that one time’ when I couldn’t find prosciutto at Trader Joes so I bought a different type of cheese instead. Yes, you read that correctly. I thought prosciutto was cheese. And yes, this was only a couple years ago.
But what I am a pro at is finding good dishes that save time, money & stress. And this breakfast casserole checks off all three. Plus it’s great for a brunch with friends or to make on a Sunday and portion out for breakfasts for the week ( = time saving during the week). And an extra time saving plus is that you compile the ingredients the night before and pop it in the oven in the morning. Doesn’t get much easier than that. Well, besides going out to a restaurant for brunch 🙂 , but that would be cheating.
So here goes…..
- 9 eggs
- 9 slices of white bread (cut in to 1 inch chunks)
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 lb bulk sausage (you can use chicken sausage) chopped up in 1/2 pieces
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
Mix eggs & milk in a large bowl. Add in bread, salt & dry mustard. Mix again. Finally add the cheese and sausage. Cover bowl and put in fridge overnight.
Wake up the next morning. Grab a coffee. Bake covered in a 9×13 pan at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Try with different types of cheese! Anything you have in the fridge.
- Replace white bread for French bread (I’ve even mixed in a couple left over hamburger buns).
- For the last 10 minutes in the oven, I take off the cover and bake sans cover. My oven seems to bakes at odd temperatures. (or at least that’s the excuse I keep telling everyone 🙂 )
With all that extra time you save in the morning, grab yourself a mimosas!